Stabbed on the road – are you safe on Delhi roads?
Just one month after having successfully completed the Raid De Himalaya in is Honda CRV, that he so lovingly calls ‘Mogli’, Mukul had to summon the courage to drive himself to medical help while he was bleeding profusely – he lost eight bottles of blood, I believe. Why? Because two thugs attacked him at a crossing just as the light turned green. Not one to give in easily, Mukul fought back and sustained a knife injury – eight cm wound the attending doctor said.
He lost a lot of blood because of ruptured arteries but fortunately no vital organs were damaged. He was discharged from the hospital after two days with a couple of weeks of rest advised. He was lucky… you may not be. So pay heed to the tips offered by Sangeeta (common friend)… btw bad tings don’t just happen to women and very late at night (as Mukul’s incident testifies).
- Always lock the car from inside. Install one of those AutoCop things if you don’t already have one. If you can not keep the windows rolled up because you don’t have or don’t want to use the air-conditioning, be especially vigilant when driving through tough neighborhoods and especially at night. Keep the windows rolled up if you can.
- The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
- If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you…. chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you and he will go for the wallet or purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
- If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car: Kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won’t see you but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
- A Few Notes About Getting Into Your Car In a Parking Lot, or Parking Garage (It is always better to be safe than sorry — and better paranoid than dead):
A.) Be aware: look around you; look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat (and check out under the car as you approach).
B.) If you’re parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
C.) Look at the car parked on the driver’s side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
- Women have a tendency to get into their car after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their cheque book or making a list, etc.) DON’T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.
- ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot).
- If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ, RUN!
- As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP IT! It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked “for help” into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.